Podcast #2: What Makes API Gear Sound So Good? With Jeff Steiger of ClassicAPI May 12, 2012 17:30 9 Comments
Jeff Steiger of ClassicAPI and I get nerdy about various vintage audio and DIY topics, including:
- Why create a company dedicated to vintage API gear? Why not Neve, SSL, etc.?
- Will we ever see ClassicAPI kits in a 1RU rack format, instead of 500-series?
- Why does old API gear sound so good when it's specs are so bad?
- The sonically stunning Gar2520 opamp
- Jeff's new, two-stage preamp design, the VP28
- How Jeff tried to cram a full API console strip into one 500-series slot.
- "Inventory management is a bitch."
- How DIY gear is beginning to penetrate the big-budget recording world.
- Are we seeing a return to the early days of recording when many engineers built their own custom gear?