HC1 High Current Headphone Amp
- Full Kit
The HC1 is expandable, high-powered headphone amp designed specifically for critical studio monitoring.
The HC1's circuit employs parallel amp stages for greater power and lower distortion. This parallel-opamp concept has been known in theory for decades and was put to practical use in Douglas Self's "5532 OpAmplifier" power amplifier. As a result, the HC1 sounds clean and clear even at high gain and when driving low-impedance headphones.
Because everyone's monitoring needs are different, the HC1 is designed to be customized. The power and audio input connectors are screw terminals, so you can attach whichever jacks you need without soldering. You can also daisy chain multiple HC1s to make a multi-channel headphone amp.
The HC1 is a great project for intermediate builders who enjoy the challenge of choosing their own chassis and inputs.
- High-current, dual-amp design
- Screw terminals for power and audio input
- Stereo, unbalanced audio input
- Accepts 9v battery or DC wall-wart power input
- Mounting holes for case mounting
- Runs about 50 hours on a single 9V battery
- Does not include power or audio input jacks
- Size: 2″ x 3.5″ (51 x 89mm)
- Mounting Holes: 4x #4 (Ø.125", 3.2mm)
- Full HC1 Mounting Dimensions (PDF)
- Input Impedance: 20kΩ
- Current Draw: 10-20mA
- Gain: 0-10dB (customizable)
- Power Supply: 9 to 44VDC