"Explain Like I'm 5": Audio Concepts for Beginners
Balanced vs Unbalanced Connections
- What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced connections?
- How does balancing work?
- Why do we need balanced connections?
- What is impedance?
- How does it affect audio?
- What do input/output impedance specs mean?
- What's the difference between "pro" and "consumer" line levels?
- Is it ok to plug an instrument into a line level input?
- What's the difference between peak and RMS levels?
The (High) Cost of Pro-audio Gear
- What are the factors that drive the price of professional recording gear?
- Why does gear cost so much more than the sum of its components?
- Are the prices justified, or is someone getting ripped off?
- What are opamps?
- How do they work?
- Do different opamps sound different?
- Do I really need a deciated box to reamp?
- Can't I just connect a cable from my interface to an amp?
- Can't I just use a DI in reverse?
Part Markings and Orientation
- How can I tell the value of common parts?
- How can I tell the orientation of common parts?
Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs)
- What do PCBs do?
- What are the layers of a PCB?
- How can I make my own PCBs?