Talking Tubes with DW Fearn August 26, 2014 12:07 1 Comment
Download the mp3 or listen on iTunes .
- How Doug pieced together his first console from standalone amplifiers
- What happened when he replaced that tube gear with a solid-state console
- "We couldn't admit that it didn't sound good, so we just got used to it."
- How a demo tape from college in 1966 led him back to building tube amps
- "We didn't listen to recorded music in my household... live music was what I was exposed to. So when the time came to build a mic preamp, that's the sound I had in my mind."
- Tubes vs transistors: why it's all about headroom
- Even vs odd harmonics and how they relate to tubes vs transistors
- "The less you torture it, the better it's going to sound. So you keep the signal path as simple as possible."
- What Doug's new product design process looks like
- The one equalizer that knocked DW Fearn out
- DW Fearn refuses to wrestle a piece of gear into existence